The digital age is a reality; with its advance, the boundary between our physical and digital worlds is becoming increasingly blurred, yet regulation of the digital world is inconsistent and ineffective, and those who are most profoundly affected by this are the people, groups, and communities with the least power and privilege. To achieve universal equality of safety, freedom, and dignity in our digital future, we need a universal approach to defining, upholding, and advancing digital rights – for everyone.
This is why we’ve teamed up with Global Women’s Rights organisation Equality Now to form the Alliance for Universal Digital Rights (AUDRi) to call for the adoption of a universal framework of digital rights rooted in human rights law and supported by an intersectional feminist analysis against discrimination.
AUDRi exists to:
- Convene individuals to collect knowledge and evidence of the opportunities and challenges presented by digital technologies and networks, particularly for women, girls, and others from discriminated groups
- Co-create legal, ethical, and technical solutions for potential harms, identified through collaboration with those whose vision is informed by lived experience and expert understanding; and
- Advocate for the global adoption of a human rights-based intersectional feminist approach to designing, developing, and regulating digital technologies and networks.
This November 28 – December 2, 2022, people and organizations from all over the world will come together in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia for the 17th Internet Governance Forum (IGF), and Women Leading in AI and Equality Now will be there, connecting, and fostering discussion on the need to guarantee universal digital rights for all in order to connect people and safeguard human rights.
We’ll also be actively feeding in the views of women all over the world to the UN Secretary General Tech Envoy’s consultation into creating a Global Digital Compact, a set of shared principles for our
digital future, which is scheduled to be agreed upon by Member States in September 2024.
Join the AUDRi alliance and help us to create a future where everyone in the digital world can enjoy the right to safety, freedom and dignity.
Where to find us at the IGF
- Thursday, December 1st: Join the Government of Spain, Equality Now, and Women Leading in AI on Thursday, December 1st, from 1:45-2:45 PM CET, where we will be holding an Open Forum discussing why in working to connect all people and safeguarding human rights, bold, transformative, and universally agreed digital rights are needed.
- Friday, December 2nd: Join Ivana Bartoletti, co-founder of Women Leading in AI and Author of An Artificial Revolution- on power, politics and AI at a Lightning Talk, “A Global Framework to AI Transparency” at 15am CET
- Daily during the IGF: We will be attending the full range of activities at the IGF, and we look forward to connecting in person and online. Look for us: